Youth Summer Trip
Each summer, Hamline Church youth embark on a journey of service or sabbath. These trips build relationships and allow us to interrupt our lives in order to be the hands and feet of Christ in the world. When we say "mission", we don't mean seeking to convert others--but rather to be deep in service with others, so that we might learn who we are in relationship to our neighbors and our God.
Hamline Church has a relationship with Tree of Life Relief, a United Methodist Volunteers in Mission site on the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota. Tree of Life Relief serves the community from within the community, hiring members of the community to cook and serve meals, manage donations and warehouses, and run a thrift shop in Mission, SD. We think it is important to continue returning to this site so we can continue to build relationships there. Our youth meet youth from the community, connect with kids as they grow up, and work with the same adults.
We have also taken sabbatical trips to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.
The 2017 Mission Trip
Spots Available: 13
Age Requirement: 12 by July 1, 2017
- $150 (before March 5)
- $200 (between March 5 and April 25)
- $300 (After April 25, depends on car space)
Tree of Life is sponsored by the Dakotas Conference of the United Methodist Church. Each year over 1,000 volunteers from across the United States come to meet and serve the Lakota and Dakota people, bringing assistance to the poorest racial group of people in the nation. In 2013 they had volunteers from 22 states, 10 different denominations and 6 difference colleges.
Trip Participants will:
- Do work projects including repairing homes, serving at a free hot meal site, sorting clothing for a resale shop, clearing out a warehouse, and maybe even fixing bikes
- Day-off fun activity like traveling in the Bad Lands
- Participate in cultural educational activities. Subjects discussed include Sioux history, culture, poverty, health issues, social issues, Lakota/Dakota games, dancing, and regalia, among others. In 2016, we had the opportunity to participate in a sweat lodge.
All students on the trip are expected to help fundraise for the trip cost.
Important dates for these fundraisers are listed below:
- Registrations Due: Round I, March 5 | Round II, April 25
- Preparation Meeting: Sunday, April 30 at 6:30 pm
- Shareholder’s Campaign: May 21 (Confirmation) to June 18
- Trip: July 30 – August 5
- Shareholder’s Dinner: Thursday, August 17 at 6 pm (Student Commitment is 4:30 – 7:30 pm)