Confirmation at Hamline Church
Confirmation at Hamline Church is a two-year program for seventh and eighth graders. During this time, we explore what it means to confirm for ourselves the promises our parents made at Baptism. Our curriculum teaches young people to explore tough questions about the Bible, the Christian Faith and what it means to be baptized. At the end of their 8th grade year, Confirmands guide the worship service and experience the ritual of Confirmation.
Confirmation includes class meetings on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month, a retreat, social events, and service events throughout the year.
Confirmation Lesson Plan Fall 2016
- First Class: September 25, Session 1 | 11:30 am
- 11:30 – 12:15 | Parent & Confirmand Orientation
- 12:15 – 12:45 | Re:Form Lesson: Who wrote the Bible?
- 12:45 – 1:00 | Opening Worship
- October 9, Session 2 | Assisting with the Pizza Event
- 11:30 – 12:30 | Baking & Pizza Creation Assistance
- 12:30 – 1:00 | Mini-Lesson on Baking Bread & the Hospitality of Sarah
- October 23, Session 3
- Re:Form Lesson: Is the Bible True?
- November 13, Session 4
- Re:Form Lesson: Why does the Bible contradict itself at times?
- Window Scavenger Hunt
- November 27, Session 5
- Re:Form Lesson: What’s more important, the New Testament or the Old Testament?
- Homework: Prepare to Choose Your Bible Verse
- December 11, Session 6
- Re:Form Lesson: Why are there so many versions of the Bible?
- Looking and listening to the Bible in Greek & Hebrew
- Share & Decorate the Bible Verse you Selected
And don’t forget these important opportunities to fulfill your requirements with the youth group:
- Saturday, November 5 at 9:00 am
- Tour of the Hindu Temple of MN
- Sunday, December 4 at 6:30 pm
- Youth Group & Keystone Packing Service Project
All students in the Confirmation class are required to:
- Attend as many class sessions as possible
Make up work for every 2 classes missed is organized with Maggie.
- Collect 20 Bulletins from Hamline Church worship services
- Serve Communion at least 1 time with a family member or friend
- Be an acolyte, scripture reader, usher, or greeter at least 4 times
- Attend 2 church-related service projects
- Attend 2 places of worship different from Hamline Church
- Interview an adult about their faith & their experience at church (Year B)
Those who wish to be confirmed on in May will also:
- Get coffee with Maggie during April
- Meet with Pastor Mariah about Statement of Faith
- Complete a statement of faith
The Statement of Faith can be a written document that discusses what you believe and what your questions are, OR an art project that expresses your belief and questions. Art projects must be displayed during the confirmation service (a bulletin cover, or a 3d piece for the church—like the red hangings), and you must write a sort paragraph about them for the church bulletin.
Contact Maggie to get a handy dandy checklist of these items.