Our Heritage: Predecessor Congregations

The 2010 merger of Hamline United Methodist Church with the Church of the Good Shepherd connected the Hamline congregation to the first Methodist Episcopal Church in St. Paul established in 1848, as well as a series of Evangelical United Brethren congregations.

Hamline Church thus represents two distinctive familial lines: one leading directly to the first Methodist Episcopal Church founded in Minnesota’s capitol city of St. Paul, and the other leading directly to the rebirth of Hamline University in St. Paul.